To virtually no one’s surprise, all orgasms are not created equal.
For many vulva owners, trying to achieve an orgasm during penetrative sex with a partner or without clit stimulation can feel like competing in an Olympic sport and walking away empty-handed.
Mission(ary): Impossible, much?
The Coital Alignment Technique is a tool that aims to bridge the climax divide and foster orgasm equality by helping vulva owners orgasm—moregasm—during penetrative sex.
While the term may be new to you, this method has probably been a thing since humans have been bumping and grinding for physical pleasure.
What is the Coital Alignment Technique?
Also known as CAT, or “grinding the corn,” the term was coined in the ‘80s when a psychotherapist and sex researcher realized only a small percentage of vulva owners reach orgasm through penetration sans clitoral stimulation.
CAT is missionary’s spicier sister. It combines constant clit stimulation with penetration to grind the receiving partner into orgasmic bliss. The key? Vertical, genital-to-genital rocking and grinding as opposed to in-and-out thrusting.
Does it work? Researchers believe that CAT increased orgasms for vulva owners by 56% during penetrative sex.
If you’ve dry-humped with clothes on, you’re familiar with the quick adjustment to align things before the going gets good. CAT uses the same principle.
- Start in the missionary position.
- The top partner slides into the receiver with their penis or a strap-on dildo, lowering their body and distributing weight to the forearms. Maintain close contact the whole time.
- Align the pubic bone on top of the clitoris.
- The partner on top should shift an inch or so higher on the bottom partner’s body and arch—like upward-facing dog in yoga. “Riding high” will help angle the penis downward.
- The receiver leads the pace with rhythmic, upward motions, hips slightly lifted. The top partner grinds with hips at a downward angle. Sync your movements.
- Make the pubic bone and the base of the penis or toy rock ‘n’ rub up and down or in circles on the clit. Grind, don’t thrust.
- Keep calm and rock on (no, really).
CAT welcomes all experience levels with open arms (and legs). Here are some ways it can enhance your sex life:
- Maximizes clit stimulation during penetration
- Helps vulva owners orgasm during penetrative sex
- Helps break taboos around sexuality and communication
- Reduces orgasm disparity between partners
- Busts you out of your sex routine
- Foreplay can prime the body for better Os.
- This is a jackhammer-free zone!
- Prioritize connection versus achieving a specific outcome.
- Incorporate breathwork.
- Maintain eye contact.
- Keep it slow, sensual, and controlled—a purr, not a roar.
- Be vocal about what feels good. CAT requires coordination, communication, and patience.
- Double down on clit arousal with an organic warming lube that intensifies with friction.
Beyond the bumping and grinding, CAT’s fundamental message is the real MVP: Your pleasure matters. Your orgasm matters. Claim it, own it, and if it feels good, do it. Meow.
Shop our sex and love collection:
Up next, be the first to know our weekly content and sign up for our Poosh newsletter.