There are those who are flexible and those who … aren’t. We’ve got both types on the Poosh team, and us less-flexible Pooshies decided we are going to fulfill our childhood dream of doing the splits.
Well, we watched the wake-up routine that celebrity Pilates instructor Nonna Gleyzer recently shared with us, and we were in awe (and slightly jealous) of her flexibility. Skip to 2:13 on the video and you’ll see what we mean.
Also, weirdly, the splits come up fairly often on our Slack channel, and we’ve heard multiple times that it’s the ultimate party trick from our more flexible coworkers. Imagine being able to shock and awe everyone at a holiday party with this move. (Well, unless it’s the Poosh holiday party, since apparently a lot of us can do the splits.)
So we asked Nonna, whose clients include Gisele Bündchen, Madonna, Jennifer Garner, Kerry Washington, and Kelly Rowland, for help.
PS: She also used to be on the Ukrainian National Gymnastics Team.
Below, she demos a few basic stretches that she says will help us learn how to do the splits. Press play on the video to see the moves, and find the written instructions underneath.
The Move: Double Leg Hamstring Stretch
1. On the ground, sit up tall with both legs straight in front of you, toes pointed.
2. Fold over from your waist, reaching your arms towards your toes. Hold for a few seconds.
3. Roll up gently.
4. Repeat twice.
The Move: Single Leg Hamstring Stretch
1. On the ground, sit up tall, with your right leg straight in front of you, point your toes.
2. Bend your left leg in, place your foot against your right thigh, making the shape of the number four with your legs.
3. Fold over from your waist, reaching your arms towards your toes. Hold for three to five seconds.
4. Roll up gently. Repeat twice.
5. Switch sides and repeat.
The Move: Hip Flexor Opener
1. Come to your knees. Step your right foot forward, keeping your knee bent at a 90-degree angle. Keep your left leg on the ground, extended behind you.
2. Using your fingertips for balance, putting the weight on your right leg, lean into the stretch for three to five seconds.
3. Rock back, sitting on your left heel. Fold forward and touch your toes with your left arm for three to five seconds. Repeat twice.
4. Switch sides and repeat.
1. Come to your knees. Go into the lunge position with your preferred foot in front.
2. Slowly and carefully, slide your back leg back, approaching the floor.
3. Gently ease yourself into a split.
Shop our fitness collection:
Up next, be the first to know our weekly content and sign up for our Poosh newsletter.