Update your comforting winter dinner options with today’s healthy version of pesto “pasta.” We teamed up with Nikki Elisheva of My Sweet Belly to share her recipe for skinny vegan pesto spaghetti squash.
“Opt for nutritional yeast in this dish in place of dairy cheese. Nutritional yeast is a good source of vitamin B12 (energy boost) and tastes similar to parmesan. I also used coconut oil because it’s better to cook with at higher temperatures (especially if you plan to save and reheat the squash “boats”) and adds a delicious creaminess to the spaghetti. However, coconut oil or EVOO will both taste great,” Nikki shares. Learn the full step-by-by instructions below.
Skinny Vegan Pesto Spaghetti Squash
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:30-35 minutes
Total Time:45 minutes
– 1 spaghetti squash
– 2 cups fresh basil leaves
– 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
– Himalayan pink salt and pepper, to taste
– 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil or EVOO
– 2 garlic cloves
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Slice spaghetti squash in half and bake face down in an oven-safe pan, roughly 30-35 minutes.
2. Prepare the pesto sauce: blend all remaining ingredients together until smooth. (For a “cheesier” pesto sauce, add more nutritional yeast.)
4. Remove spaghetti squash from the oven and spoon out seeds.
5. Mix pesto sauce into the squash “noodles.” Serve them in the squash boats or in small bowls.
Up next, shop more from the Poosh Shop here.