It’s cozy season, which means we’re spending even more time on the couch snuggled up watching festive movies with a warm beverage in hand. And for Kourt, that means a mug of homemade cacao. Yes, yes, we’re sharing the full recipe below, but first, we wanted to explain why opting for cacao over traditional pre-made hot chocolate makes for a healthier option.
The benefits of cacao:
The cocoa tree is the plant responsible for producing cacao beans (or seeds), which are then made into delicious products like chocolate, cacao powder, and cacao bars. But, to be clear, cacao is an ingredient in traditional “chocolate flavors” that typically contain many other additives.
Cacao, on the other hand, is the most natural form of chocolate and has many health benefits. Here’s why you should make the swap in the kitchen.
• Contains natural antioxidants (called flavonoids)
• Helps with inflammation
• Great source of magnesium
• Can reduce fatigue and regulate energy levels
• Supports heart, gut, and brain health
• Can promote skin health and muscle growth
• Can help to regulate blood pressure
• Mind-opening and mood-boosting
Now that we’ve convinced you to make the switch, here’s how Kourt uses it to make her homemade hot cacao.
Show us how you recreate (or modify) this delicious recipe and use hashtag #pooshpalate for a chance to be featured on our social.