De-stress so you can properly rest. To add to your next yoga rotation, we tapped Stacey Bendet Eisner (CEO and creative director of Alice + Olivia and a powerhouse when it comes to yoga moves) and her talented instructor, Eddie Stern, to share ways to reset with simple sun salutations. Learn the relaxing moves below.
The Move: Basic Sun Salutation A
From Eddie: “This is a simple and effective 10-step plan for full body-mind health. Each movement is done in conjunction with a smooth inhale or exhale. Move slowly and deliberately with focused awareness. One cycle of the sun salutation takes about a minute and a half to perform. You can start with three and build up to 10. The conjunction of breath and movement is a powerful tool for toning and strengthening your body and bringing clarity and brightness to your mind.
How to: Begin in a standing position with your feet together, hands by your sides, and spine straight.
1. Inhale and raise your arms up over your head, placing the palms together. Lengthen the waist and ribs upwards.
2. Exhale and bend forward, placing your palms on the floor next to your feet. Bend your knees as much as you need to in order to put your hands on the floor.
3. Inhale and lift your chest and head up, extending the spine.
4. Exhale and step or jump your feet back to a high plank, and then as you continue to exhale, lower into a low plank. Make sure you exhale completely in this position.
5. Inhale and slide the body forward, coming into upward facing dog, lifting the chest as you straighten your arms. Tilt the head back a little to look upward.
6. Exhale and push your hips up in the air into downward facing dog, and look toward your navel (you might not see it). At the same time, you can reach your hips back behind you, lengthening the spine. Breathe in this position for five long, slow breaths.
7. Step or jump your feet forward to your hands, and extend the chest and head forward as in position number 3.
8. Exhale and bend the head down toward your legs, stretching the backs of the legs and the length of the spine. Press your hands toward the floor.
9. Inhale and stand up, raising your arms back up over your head, and lengthening the waist, ribs, and spine upward.
10. As you exhale, come back to a standing position.
Repeat as many times as you like!
The Move: Sun Salutation B
1. Begin standing straight with your feet together and hands by your sides.
2. Bend your knees as if you are going to sit in a chair, and inhale while lifting your arms over your head. Push the chest a little forward.
3. Bend forward and straighten your legs, coming into a forward fold.
4. Inhale and lift your chest up, lengthening your spine forward.
5. Jump your feet back to a high plank, and as you exhale, lower into a low plank.
6. Inhale and roll forward into upward facing dog, lifting the chest, straightening the arms, and tilting the head a little back.
7. Push your hips up in the air, coming into downward facing dog, as you exhale.
8. Step your right foot forward in between your hands, turn your left foot down to the ground, and inhale your arms over your head. Look up toward your hands.
9. Exhale a long breath and come all the way into a low plank.
10. Inhale into upward facing dog.
11. Exhale into downward facing dog.
12. Step your left foot forward in between your hands, turn your right foot down, inhale your arms over your head, and look at your hands.
13. Exhale a long breath all the way into a low plank.
14. Inhale into upward facing dog.
15. Exhale into downward facing dog. Stay in this position and breathe five times.
16. Jump your feet forward to your hands, and inhale a long breath as you extend your chest forward.
17. Exhale and bend your head down into a forward fold.
18. Bend your knees like you are going to sit in a chair, and inhale your arms over your head, the same position as we started in.
19. Exhale and stand straight. Repeat three to five times, keeping your breathing smooth the whole time.”
Poosh Edit: Best of Fitness Gear