Still looking for a simple salad to add to your 2022 lineup? Well, we got you. This recipe will allow you to incorporate the richness of winter with the freshness of spring into one dish. It’s a flavorful salad that’s packed with essential nutrients and antioxidants and only takes 15 minutes to prepare.
Plus, it will kickstart your year with natural sources of energy and high levels of vitamins (thanks to key ingredients like pumpkin seeds and figs). Translation: you’ll want to eat it every day starting now until the end of time.
Count us in, salad queens and kings.
Read on for the step-by-step instructions on how to make the energizing salad.
Collard Green Salad with Figs, Peas, and Pumpkin Seeds
Dietary Info:Vegan, Gluten-Free
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:5 minutes
Total Time:15 minutes
For the salad:
1 bundle collard greens, stems removed and chopped
3 fresh figs, sliced thin
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup shucked peas
For the dressing:
1 cup whole-leaf parsley
1 cup whole-leaf basil
1 lime, juiced and zested
1 lemon, juiced
1 clove garlic
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 dates, pitted
Salt to taste
1. Remove the fibrous stem from each collard green leaf. Stack each leaf on top of one another and then roll up like a burrito. Using a sharp knife, slice them into thin ribbons. This technique is called chiffonade and can be used on all large lettuces and fresh herbs.
2. Slice the figs and add to the bowl of collard greens.
3. In a small pan over medium heat, add the pumpkin seeds and toast until fragrant and golden brown, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
4. Heat water in a small saucepan on the stove until boiling. Carefully add the peas and let them cook for a minute and 30 seconds. Drain them from the boiling water and add to a bowl of ice water. This stops the residual heat from cooking them any longer.
5. Drain peas from ice water and add to the toasted pumpkin seeds.
6. Add all dressing ingredients to a blender or blend with a handheld immersion blender. Blend until smooth.
7. Drizzle on dressing and toss well to combine.
Shayna Taylor is a wellness influencer and entrepreneur transforming the self-care industry with a radically compassionate approach. Her background includes modeling, culinary training, global travel, and mentorship from leading specialists in fitness and nutrition. She is building on her success with Shayna’s Kitchen, a food and nutrition brand known for gluten- and dairy-free recipes, and Bottle & Stone, a collection of premium CBD-based remedies and skincare products. Shayna’s mission is to help people thrive holistically by listening, learning, and sharing knowledge. For more of Shayna’s recipes, head to @shaynas.kitchen or shaynaskitchen.com.
Show us how you recreate (or modify) this delicious recipe and use hashtag #pooshpalate for a chance to be featured on our social.