If you’re looking to make a show-stopping, memorable, decadent-and-yet-totally-healthy fall and winter recipe … look no further. Chef K, AKA Kourtney’s personal chef, is an absolute master of all recipes that fit the above criteria. She just simply whips up masterpieces like this on the regular, leaning on rich, creamy vegan staples like her favorite vegan butter to give the finishing rich flavors. Embark on the recipe below, and make sure you have plenty of time to have fun with it.
Pumpkin Gnocchi with Sage and Hazelnuts
Dietary Info:Vegan, Gluten-Free
1 1/2 cups all-purpose GF 1:1 flour
1 teaspoon salt
Garlic sage butter sauce:
6 tablespoons vegan butter
20 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped or left whole
Salt and pepper to taste
Hazelnuts and pomegranate arils, to serve
1. Cut pumpkin in half, scrape out the inside and place, cut side down, on parchment. Roast pumpkin in the oven at 375° F for one hour. Scoop out the pumpkin and let it cool down and reserve.
2. Using a potato ricer on the finest setting (a box grater or a potato masher both work, too), mash the pumpkin until very finely broken down and smooth. Measure out two cups (packed) pumpkin and save any remaining pumpkin for future use.
3. Sift the flour and add in the pumpkin and salt. Mix everything together with floured hands until a smooth dough is formed, adding additional flour one tablespoon at a time if the dough is too wet or one tablespoon of water at a time if the dough is too dry. Keep in mind that the dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
4. Once the dough is smooth, knead it for 30 seconds to a minute or until soft, being sure not to overwork the dough.
5. Form the dough into a roughly ½- to 1-inch-tall ball. Cut some kitchen twine and press it in lines around the ball so that they look like the vertical indentations on a pumpkin. You can make the gnocchi whatever size you would like. Lightly dust the work surface with flour throughout the process as needed. Finish by inserting a piece of rosemary on top of each “pumpkin.”
6. Boil water in a medium pot and add the gnocchi. Cook until it floats to the top (7-10 mins).
7. Prepare the sauce. Place a medium skillet over medium heat and add in the vegan butter. Once the butter has melted, allow it to cook in the pan for about 7-10 minutes until golden brown. Add in the sage and cook for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
8. Using a slotted spoon or a colander, scoop out the cooked gnocchi, place them into the other pan with the sage butter sauce, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
9. Serve with roasted hazelnuts and pomegranates. Enjoy!
Show us how you recreate (or modify) this delicious recipe and use hashtag #pooshpalate for a chance to be featured on our social.