In a world of instant gratification, timing is everything. A moment between texts feels like an eternity, waiting for a video to load seems to take years off our lives—we want everything to be convenient, and we want it now.
With the world at our fingertips, anything is just a tap away. But practicing patience, care, and consideration matters when it comes to what we put in our bodies. Have you ever questioned how something can go from frozen solid to your dinner meal in 60 seconds or less? Are microwaves actually safe for your family?
Kourt removed the microwave from her home years ago after doing some research on the radiation it can emit, and how it can reduce the nutritional content of food. She prefers to use the stove or oven for any cooking. She knew that if she had a microwave in the house, she would use it, and wanted to remove that option entirely.
According to the American Cancer Society, microwave ovens work by using radiofrequency radiation. These frequencies are contained within the microwave when the door is shut, but if your device gets damaged, they could leak out. Even a simple spill inside the microwave could create a wedge between the seal of the door, allowing this energy to escape and cause burns.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recorded that an average of 7,100 fires are caused every year by microwave ovens. Metal handles on take-out boxes, twist ties, and aluminum foil can create sparks. Sometimes accidents happen when metals are hidden—your favorite plate set may have gold or silver trim, and recycled paper plates may include little bits of metal, so caution is key.
It’s also important to stay away from heating plastics. Many containers include the chemical bisphenol-A (BPA), which has been linked to cancer, thyroid disorders, and obesity. When heated, BPA can leach into your food. We recommend ditching plastic altogether in lieu of plates and bowls made from glass or microwave-safe ceramic.
The NFPA notes that food heats unevenly in microwave ovens. This means it can leave uncooked “micropockets” inside meat that allow bacteria to survive. When the microwave beeps, it’s almost impossible to tell if you’re going to get burned by a red-hot bowl or if your food is still going to be ice cold. That’s why they never recommend heating a baby bottle in the microwave, because it can create hot pockets, leading to burns. Over 40 percent of microwave oven injuries seen at emergency rooms in 2012 were scalds.