As we mentioned last week when we shared this DIY armpit detox, there’s truly a cleanse for everything—your beauty rest included. To share what a sleep cleanse entails, we reached out to founder and Certified Sleep Expert of Good Night Sleep Site, Alanna McGinn, for her insight.
“Ready for this truth bomb? If you aren’t sleeping well—or enough—all the plant-based eating and spin classes in the world won’t enable you to achieve your best health. The fact is, without enough rest, you won’t make smart food choices or have the energy needed to work out.
Sleep is critical. Yet it’s always last on the list, and rarely a priority. If you’re really committed to your health, you need to be just as devoted to your sleep. If you want to prioritize your shut-eye, try this seven-night, seven-step sleep cleanse to help clean up poor bedtime hygiene and to renew your dedication to getting the rest you need.
1. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends. You should be getting seven to eight hours of shuteye per night. When you consistently sync your slumber with your natural sleep rhythms and 24-hour biological clock, you’re able to achieve the best restorative sleep possible.
2. Follow a consistent bedtime routine that will prepare your body for the night and help release melatonin, your natural sleep hormone.
3. Your bedroom should be for sleep only. Make sure your bedroom is dark, quiet, and cool. Also, you should be re-evaluating your mattress every five to eight years. If you are having difficulty getting all your zzz’s, your mattress could be the culprit.
4. Screens are one of the biggest sleep disruptors out there. Electronics should be turned off at least 60 minutes before bedtime.
5. If you wake up in the middle of the night and can’t fall back asleep, get out of bed. Go into a different room but keep things quiet, dim, and screen-free. Read a chapter or two in low light, listen to soothing music, or color. Try again after 20 minutes or so and continue the process until you can fall asleep.
6. Quieting your mind long enough to drift off can be difficult. Keep a journal on your nightstand and write down all your worries before you go to bed.
7. If you think negative thoughts about sleep, it’s only going to feed into your poor slumber patterns and fuel them to continue. Turn your negative thoughts into positive ones by choosing a few restful affirmations that you can repeat throughout the day. If you practice positive affirmations consistently, you will see results in three to four weeks.
Remember it takes 21 days to fully change habits. Be patient and stay consistent with your new sleep cleanse, and you will likely see changes toward better bedtime health!”
Up next, shop our Vital Proteins x Poosh Dream of Me Collagen Tea™ ($38).