The traditional breakfast drink has come a long way since most of us were children and drinking a daily glass of skim or 2% milk. Now when you walk through the milk aisle at the grocery store, there are shelves upon shelves of dairy and non-dairy options. For (many) good reasons, of course. Ahead we’re highlighting the top benefits and why you should make the swap to dairy-free milk. Plus, we’re sharing how you can make plant-based alternatives all in the comfort of your home.
Benefits of plant-based milk:
• Better for the environment compared to cow’s milk because it requires less land to produce and lowers CO2 emissions involved in raising cows (one of the highest agricultural contributors to global warming).
• Vegan, dairy-free, and lactose-free.
Benefits by different plant-based types:
Oat Milk Benefits:
2. Free of nuts.
3. Rich in vitamin D and calcium, which can increase the health and strength of your bones.
Almond Milk Benefits:
1. Low in carbohydrates compared to other plant-based milk.
2. Rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps fight inflammation in your body.
Coconut Milk Benefits:
1. Has both antibacterial and antifungal properties. Once the coconut milk is absorbed into the body it becomes a highly beneficial compound called “monolaurin.” This compound is known for helping fight and prevent diseases.
2. Contains lauric acid, which helps boost the immune system.
Cashew Milk Benefits:
1. Does not contain pulp, making it one of the creamiest and smoothest plant-based milks.
2. Contains healthy fatty acids, which support brain health and cognitive functions. The fat consumed from cashew milk is natural.
Macadamia Milk Benefits:
1. Low in carbs (just 1 gram of carbs per 1-cup serving, compared to the 7 grams in oat milk).
2. Contains monounsaturated fats, which are said to help reduce stress.
Now that you have a refresher on the benefits of plant-based milk alternatives, learn how you can make nut milk at home with one of Poosh’s newest shop products: The Nutr.
Your homemade matcha just got that much better. From almonds, cashews, walnuts, and peanuts to ingredients like oats, soybeans, coconuts, rice, hemp, flax, sesame, and mung beans, you can nut in minutes, yeah we said it.
The easy-to-use device has three heat and blend settings, a compact, sleek design, and makes 8-13 ounces of your choice of plant-based milk for you to enjoy. Plus, it’s eco-friendly, reducing waste from purchasing pre-packaged bottles from the store. Less waste and fresh, homemade, dairy-free milk at your convenience.
How to make your own plant-based milk in just three simple steps:
Step 1: Open the lid and add your preferred nut, grain, or seed.
Step 2: Add filtered water until you reach the maximum line.
Step 3: Choose the desired temperature of your beverage and blend for a few minutes.
Step 4: Add to your morning matcha (or coffee), smoothie, overnight oats, or cereal, or enjoy on its own.
Watch The Nutr in action in the below tutorial.
Up next, be the first to know our weekly content and sign up for our Poosh newsletter.