Get in the holiday spirit with this heart-shaped dessert that’s *almost* too sweet to eat. Kourt’s friend, Jessie Wolfson, is sharing her recipe for organic and gluten-free coconut macaroons. The adorable treat makes for a great family-friendly activity and the perfect homemade gift for your loved ones this Valentine’s Day. Learn the step-by-step instructions below.
Heart-Shaped Coconut Macaroons
Dietary Info:Organic, Gluten-Free
Serving Size:Roughly 20 macaroons, pending the prepared size of the hearts
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:8-10 minutes, until bottom edges begin to lightly brown
Total Time:20 minutes
14-ounce bag sweetened coconut flakes
14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Vegetable + spice food dye; mix color(s) to liking
Nonstick spray (or butter), to lightly grease baking sheet
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
3. Pour the bag of coconut flakes into a large bowl.
4. Add the can of condensed milk and vanilla to the coconut flakes.
5. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
6. Separate the coconut mixture into equal parts in as many bowls as colors you want to make (five colors = five bowls).
7. Place 4-8 drops of veggie food dye in each bowl. Blue and green colors tend to require a few extra drops in order to maintain color when baking.
8. Mix in the chocolate chips.
9. Spoon 1-inch balls of dyed coconut + chocolate chips mixture onto the greased baking sheet.
10. Delicately shape each ball into a heart. A spoon or hard utensil can be used to assist in crafting the heart shape.
11. Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes, or until the bottom edges of the macaroons begin to brown.
Up next, shop the newest items from the Poosh Shop here.