A wedding can send anyone into a frenzy. The details, the location, the guest list, the music … the list goes on when it comes to planning a milestone event in your life. That’s why we reached out to Lauren Perez, creative consultant for Good American and close friend of Kendall Jenner. Perez recently tied the knot with her beau, David Waltzer, and has advice on how to plan the perfect wedding day.
From being picky about your perfect guest list to having a clever way to control your alcohol consumption on the day of your nuptials, Perez’s Miami wedding preparation was the key to making her special day immaculate. Read on to find out the 10 things that made the three-day event so special.
1. “Live in the moment! One of my friends told me that no matter how crazy your wedding day gets, make sure you take 5-10 minutes of alone time before your ceremony starts. I went into the bridal suite before it was time to walk down the aisle and just closed my eyes … practiced some breathwork and really just took the time to myself to soak it all in. It goes by so fast, and looking back, I’m so glad I stopped to reflect, even if it was only for a few moments.
2. Carve out dedicated time for you and your fiancé! Wedding weekends require the bride and groom to give a lot of attention to family and guests—so just make sure you don’t forget about the reason everyone’s there in the first place—you and your partner!
3. Trust your gut and instincts with planning— lots of people will have opinions and try to provide input. Find the balance of respecting the wishes of others while making sure your day is true to you and your fiancé. Plan and have the wedding YOU want.
4. Be selective about your guest list! It’s easy to run a guest list up, and it can truly get overwhelming. Before you add someone to your list, make sure the people you’re including are individuals who truly care about you, have your back, and will be in your lives forever. A guest list with people who truly love you will bring the best energy, making your wedding day that much more special.
5. On your actual wedding day, you have to be OK with the mantra “whatever happens, happens”— don’t ruin your wedding by overthinking, stressing, or trying to control things that are simply out of your hands.
6. Plan your outfits! I did a fitting (with myself!) a few weeks before my wedding weekend in Miami, and it saved so much time and reduced my stress levels. I had a folder prepared in my phone with each look (from outfits to accessories) for every moment of the weekend, and it saved me from having to ever think about what I was going to wear—reducing my stress exponentially!
7. Beauty routine! Stick to what you know and what works for you. If you’re newly engaged and have some time before your big day, of course you can try new things, but my advice would be to not introduce any new products or routines too close to your wedding date. Discover what works for you and what makes you feel the best, and stick with it. For me, lots of regular cleansing, eye masks, and my Poosh Light Shield mask were my go-to’s, especially the week of.
8. Limit your alcohol consumption. Our wedding was three full nights of events, so I snuck over to the bartenders on each night and told them that any shots ordered for me should be poured with water. No one had any idea, and I still enjoyed some cocktails on my own time, but I could not have kept up with the number of drinks handed to me! I felt great every morning because I didn’t overdo it. You feel high off of excitement and adrenaline anyway!
9. Pack lingerie. 😉
10. Remember throughout the planning process and your wedding weekend that it’s truly about you and your fiancé. It’s OK to be a little selfish, choose what you want, and live out your dream that you worked so hard to plan.”
Up next, be the first to know our weekly content and sign up for our Poosh newsletter.