Kourtney Kardashian Barker
Recently on a trip to Chicago, Kourtney had an avocado to remember at The Peninsula hotel and couldn’t wait to re-create it at home. Serving a whole avocado as a dish isn’t always an easy feat, but with a few simple ingredients, it can taste like a 5-star entree.
Olive oil and avocados are rich in healthy fats, and beets contain fiber and betalains, making them great for digestion and fighting inflammation. Sunflower seeds are full of potassium and magnesium, while both honey and sumac are powerful antimicrobials and antivirals. Needless to say, this nutrient-dense concoction is far more than just pretty to look at.
The Peninsula Avocado
Dietary Info:Gluten-free/ Vegetarian
Prep Time:5 min
Total Time:5 min
One perfectly ripe avocado, not too soft and not too firm, sliced in half and pitted
A handful of chives, roughly chopped into longer pieces
Beet hummus or puree
Pickled or boiled beet slices (can find them pre-cooked at the grocery store)
Extra virgin olive oil
Honey (for drizzling)
1. Prepare your dish of choice. Because it’s such a lovely presentation, we recommend your favorite plate in a light color to highlight the vibrant hue of the beet hummus or puree.
2. Spread a dollop of puree across the plate, and place your pitted avocado halves upright on top of the beet mixture.
3. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, enough to coat the avocado but not so much it heavily pools in the pitted area.
4. Dust with sumac for that bright red color and vibrant, tangy contrast.
5. Top with a light drizzle of honey for some unexpected sweetness that punctuates the earthy sweetness in the beets.
6. To finish, garnish with beet slices around the base and top of the avocado, and sprinkle with sunflower seeds and your chives. Congratulations, you’ve just reached chef status.
Show us how you recreate (or modify) this delicious recipe and use hashtag #pooshpalate for a chance to be featured on our social.