There’s nothing quite like being cuddled up by the fireplace enjoying a warm bowl of soup … flavorful butternut squash soup at that. It hits all the comforting and cozy feels during the cold-weather months. Below, we’re sharing one of Kourt’s favorite recipes that she received from her friend (and Poosh contributor) Jennifer Galvan. Well, we actually have Jen’s mom, Lili, to thank for the rich and delicious gluten-free soup recipe. Scroll down for the step-by-step instructions.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Serving Size:8 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:2 hours
Total Time:2 hours 10 minutes
4 pounds whole butternut squash
1 medium sweet potato
1 tablespoon avocado oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups large-diced onion
2 cups diced Granny Smith apple (peeled or unpeeled)
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 can coconut cream
1/2 cup seeds of choice for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375° F and line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Cover the butternut squash and sweet potato in avocado oil and place on the baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven for 1-1.5 hours and turn every 20-30 minutes until soft.
3. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until onions caramelize.
4. Add the diced apple and cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
5. Add the minced garlic and crushed red chili flakes and cook for 1 additional minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. Remove cooked squash and sweet potato from oven and let cool on a cooling rack. Cut the squash in half and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Peel off the skin of the squash and sweet potato and add to the pot of onion mixture.
7. Add the chicken broth and season with salt and pepper. Stir ingredients to combine.
8. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut cream.
10. Use a blender or food processor to puree the soup until smooth.
11. Garnish with seeds, if desired.
Poosh Edit: Best of Kitchen Essentials:
Be sure to share your photos on Instagram using the hashtag #pooshpalate for a chance to be re-grammed on our social.
Up next, shop our Saje x Poosh Positively Poosh Ultrasonic Diffuser Kit ($100).