As promised, we’re sharing the simple marinara sauce Kim pairs with her eggplant parmesan recipe that we featured earlier this month. Her chef, Marina Cunningham, graciously gave us all the details on how to make the classic sauce. You can of course use it for your next pasta or pizza night too. Learn the step-by-step instructions for Kim’s slightly sweet and savory red sauce below.
Kim’s Easy Vegan Marinara Sauce
Dietary Info:Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free
Prep Time:5 mins
Cook Time:50 mins
Total Time:1 hour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon vegan and soy-free butter
1 small onion, thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup vegetable stock (or water)
1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons agave
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Add olive oil and butter to a large pot over low heat.
2. Add sliced onions and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes until they are very soft and sweet.
3. Add garlic and sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
4. Add salt and spices and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
5. Deglaze with vegetable stock, then add the tomatoes and agave. Raise the heat to high, bring to a simmer, and then reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
For a smooth sauce, transfer to a blender and blend. For a chunkier sauce, use an immersion blender and blend to desired consistency in the pot. Check for seasoning and serve with eggplant parmesan or pasta, or as pizza sauce.
Up next, shop the newest items from the Poosh Shop here.