Back in 2019, Kim got candid with us about her journey with two autoimmune conditions: psoriasis, which causes red, itchy patches on the skin, and psoriatic arthritis, which is similar to arthritis and can stem from psoriasis. Since August is Psoriasis Awareness Month, we wanted to catch up with her and see how things were going. She graciously answered our questions, sharing that eating plant-based is one thing that helps immensely. She also gave us some insight into her “treat days” when she’s more flexible with her eating—it’s all about finding that balance.
1. Who got you into plant-based eating?
I can’t exactly remember how I got into plant-based, but I know I watched documentaries during quarantine that made me want to try again.
2. What’s your favorite dish?
My plant-based tacos! I eat them at least once a week.
3. What’s your go-to order when you’re at a restaurant that’s not strictly vegan/plant-based?
It really depends. I just do my best to stay as plant-based as possible, unless it’s a treat day.
4. Speaking of treat day, what are your treat day picks?
Pizza, for sure. And if I’m in the mood for something sweet, I love doughnuts.
5. In the article you wrote for us, you mentioned drinking sea moss smoothies. Do you still drink those?
Yes! The sea moss smoothies are great because they’re very anti-inflammatory. I try to eat as many anti-inflammatory and antioxidant foods as possible.
6. How has going plant-based impacted other areas of your life?
It’s made me more mindful about how what I put in my body affects me, not just psoriasis but also my mood, my stress levels, my energy, everything.
7. Are there any other tips you’ve learned?
I’ve found that putting ointment or cream on the bad areas and then wrapping them in Saran Wrap helps. But obviously, that can only be done in certain areas.
8. What advice would you give someone who is struggling with self-confidence stemming from psoriasis?
You have to get to a place where you just feel comfortable and own it. Be able to realize it’s a part of you.
Up next, be the first to know our weekly content and sign up for our Poosh newsletter.