We recently shared Kourt’s go-to butternut squash soup that’s great for a cozy night in. Today we’re adding to the list of soup recipes that she received from her friend (and Poosh contributor) Jennifer Galvan. Well, we actually have Jen’s mom, Lili, to thank for the healthy and comforting bowl of flavor. Tip from Kourt: she likes to make a large batch and freeze it using mason jars, and then she places one in the fridge to thaw out and can easily warm it up for a quick meal to cook for herself and the kids.
Learn the step-by-step instructions below.
Gluten-Free Veggie Soup
Dietary Info:Gluten-Free, Can Be Vegan (if using water instead of chicken broth)
Serving Size:8 servings
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:1.5 hours
Total Time:2 hours
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped carrots
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon cumin
1 cup soaked lentils (soak in water the night before or a couple hours ahead)
1 cup soaked mung beans
8 cups water, veggie broth, or chicken broth
2 cups broccoli
2 cups green cabbage
1 cup parsley
1. Sauté olive oil with onion, garlic, carrots, and celery on the stovetop.
2. After three minutes, add salt, pepper, turmeric, and cumin.
3. After another few minutes, add lentils, mung beans, and the water or broth.
4. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Add the broccoli, cabbage, and parsley and let simmer for another half hour.
6. Once cooked, lightly purée the soup for a smoother texture.