For those of us who’ve ever done an at-home facial mask, a clay mask was probably one of our first experiences. As oily, hormonal teens, we relied on them for their drawing properties, pulling out our bacteria and excess sebum, making us feel tight and clean. The main ingredient responsible for this powerful drawing action is usually bentonite clay. And we can also eat it.
Because it comes in a fine powder that we mix with water to form a paste for a mask, we can dilute the mixture into a drinkable concoction and toss it down the hatch for a similarly drawing experience for our insides. It pulls toxins from the digestive tract, helping us detox from specific issues. This doesn’t mean we should all be drinking bentonite clay all day, every day for total detoxification, though. Here’s what we need to know.
It has essential minerals.
Bentonite clay is a mineral-rich volcanic clay. It’s chock-full of silica, a beauty mineral that helps boost our elastin, providing healthier hair, skin, and nails. It also contains calcium, iron, copper, and zinc.
It’s a magnet for toxic heavy metals and mold.
It has a high cation exchange, meaning that while bentonite clay has a negative charge, it can attract positively charged ions and heavy metals in toxins and draw them out. Heavy metals like lead can disrupt metabolic functions, meaning they reprogram how our cells operate. They accumulate in vital organs and glands such as the heart, brain, kidneys, bone, liver, etc., and displace vital nutritional minerals. It’s also a strong binder to dangerous black mold and is a smart choice to detox those exposed.
It’s been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer cells. It can also be used for post-cancer treatment as it’s excellent for removing toxins from the system that occur from radiation exposure.
It can help treat digestive duress.
The drawing properties in clay can help absorb the offenders that occur in food poisoning, food allergies, IBS, and different types of colitis.
So when and how should we take it? First, we want to look for food-grade bentonite clay. This means the clay has been cleansed of dirt, mica, and other impurities. We need only 1 tablespoon in a glass of water on an empty stomach in the morning, and again in the evening before bed, at least a few hours after our last meal. This can be done short term (think about a week), depending on what we are trying to detox from our bodies, or long term if we are doing a more severe detox for cancer or post-cancer treatment.
Because bentonite clay is so absorbent and magnetic, it can cause constipation and dehydration. It’s important to drink plenty of water during this time (and always, because duh) as well as up our intake of fiber. It’s even been suggested to take a psyllium husk supplement while on this detox to assure proper digestion and elimination of the toxins being removed. Happy cleansing!
Up next, be the first to know our weekly content and sign up for our Poosh newsletter.