Nothing says comfort food like a pan of lasagna. We teamed up with Nikki Elisheva of My Sweet Belly to share her recipe for plant-based lasagna wheels. “This is a spin-off of stuffed ricotta shells and lasagna. The plant-based ‘chicotta’ tastes nearly identical to ricotta, only the high protein in the chickpeas means satisfaction sooner. To make this meal keto, substitute chickpea lasagna for long strips of zucchini or yellow squash,” she shares. Learn the step-by-step instructions for the recipe below.
Plant-Based Lasagna Wheels
Recipe Type:Lunch or Dinner
Dietary Info:Vegan/Can Be Keto/Gluten-Free
Serving Size:6-8 Servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:35 minutes
Total Time:45 minutes
– 1 box of chickpea pasta OR 4 zucchini/yellow squash (your choice)
– 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas
– 2/3 cup cashews, soaked overnight (can also boil for 20 minutes)
– 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
– 1 lemon, squeezed
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
– 1/2 teaspoon paprika
– 1 cup spinach (or your choices chopped vegetables)
– 1 jar of your choice marinara sauce (used Rao’s)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F and begin to boil lasagna or squash until al dente (about 10-12 minutes).
2. Prepare the “chicotta”: add all remaining ingredients, except the spinach/vegetables and marinara, to a food processor or blender.
3. Remove noodles from hot water and place on a flat surface. Spread a generous amount of chicotta on noodles, followed by marinara sauce and your vegetable(s) of choice.
4. Roll noodles into a wheel shape and place in an oven-safe tray. (Make sure to cover the bottom of the tray with marinara so that your wheels don’t stick.)
5. Once you finish making the lasagna wheels, place them in the oven for about 30 minutes.
Note from Nikki: “Chickpeas are an excellent source of plant protein. You’ll notice with this stuffing, you’re likely to feel full and satisfied after just one or two stuffed wheels.”
Be sure to share your photos on Instagram using the hashtag #pooshpalate for a chance to be re-grammed on our social.
Up next, shop our Vital Proteins x Poosh Blueberry & Lemon Collagen Vibes.