We all have that friend who has near-perfect hair and always looks like she just walked out of a fresh blowout. It’s annoying, but we love her and frankly are slightly envious. Ease up on the envy though, because you too can have lust-worthy polished strands with the help of our hair hacks.
Whether you have a freshly cut shoulder-grazing bob or naturally long locks, it’s safe to say we’re all here for a hack that saves time (and a trip to the salon) and makes our hair look like we put in more effort than we actually did (win!). The smallest tweaks can have a big payoff when it comes to caring for and styling our tresses. Below, we’re sharing a handful of tips—we even reached out to celeb hairstylist, Andrew Fitzsimons, for his expert insight that is sure to up your mane game.
• Andrew Fitzsimons suggests, “Use eyeshadow the same color as your hair to fill in sparse places to make hair look fuller—instant root powder.”
• “Spraying dry shampoo in your hair at night will not only soak up all of the excess oils, but you’ll also wake up with killer volume.”
• “Comb your hair before shampooing if it tends to get knotty.”
• “Invest in a silk pillowcase—it reduces frizz and minimizes split ends. It’s even better for your skin, too.”
• To create natural waves without hot tools, use alligator claw clips. They don’t leave creases or tug on your hair.
• Lather your hair with coconut oil or your preferred hair oil the day before wash day to help moisturize your mane.
• If you brush your hair when it’s wet, opt for a wet brush. It’ll gently detangle your strands without the breakage and damage.
• Use a firm toothbrush and hair oil to smooth your part. You can do this for a sleek ponytail, low bun, or even when you wear your hair down.
• If you’re dying your roots at home, use this Olaplex treatment. Apply it from ponytail down for a multitasking moisturizing treatment while you’re doing your roots.