Crumbly and sweet yet a dash of savory all in one delicious bite of a shortbread cookie. Is your mouth watering yet? Liz Prueitt, cofounder of Tartine Bakery and author of the cookbook Tartine, is sharing her gluten-free recipe for the popular Scottish dessert. Chef’s tip? “There is a pervasive myth that shortbread should never bake to the point of browning. I want to persuade you that a golden tint is not only OK but preferable. The buttery flavor will become more pronounced with a bit of color, and that is as essential an element to shortbread as its friable crumb,” she notes in her cookbook. Kourt recently made the bite-size GF treats and loved them. Learn the 30-minute recipe below, and enjoy the biscuits with your next matcha tea latte.
Serving Size:36 cookies
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
Total Time:30 minutes
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoon (155 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (80 g) granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups (150 g) almond flour
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon (115 g) white or brown rice flour, or a combination
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until light and creamy, about two minutes.
2. Add the sugar to the butter and continue to beat until fluffy, about three minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
3. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, rice flour, cinnamon, and salt. Stir well and then add to the butter-sugar mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
4. Working on a large sheet of parchment paper, shape the dough into a log about 10 inches/25 cm long and 1.5 inches/4 cm in diameter. Wrap tightly in parchment paper or plastic wrap, twisting the ends, and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
6. Unwrap the log. Using a sharp knife, slice the log into round cookies about 1/4 inch thick. Arrange the cookies on prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies at least 1/2 inch apart. Bake, rotating the baking sheets at the midway point, until the edges of the cookies are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Set the baking sheets on a cooling rack to cool for five minutes and then transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely.
7. The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four days.
Up next, shop our Vital Proteins x Poosh Blueberry & Lemon Collagen Vibes.