I’m back with another Shayna’s Kitchen recipe. Today I’m sharing my simple seared ahi tuna recipe. The light and filling dish makes for a healthy lunch or dinner option. It surprisingly only takes ten minutes to prep and serve, plus it’s sure to impress your guests.
Learn the step-by-step instructions for my easy ahi tuna recipe flavored with sesame and garlic below.
Seared Ahi Tuna with Sesame and Garlic
Dietary Info:Gluten-free, dairy-free, pescatarian
Serving Size:2 servings
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:5 minutes
Total Time:10 minutes
10 – 16 ounces sushi-grade ahi tuna
1 – 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or another high-heat oil for searing)
For the sesame crust topping:
1 1/2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
1 teaspoon Celtic salt
1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon coconut sugar
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1. Mix the sesame crust topping ingredients together.
2. Pat the ahi dry with paper towels and then place on a plate.
3. Using a brush, coat the ahi on all sides with coconut aminos. This step ensures the topping will stick to the tuna.
4. Generously sprinkle with the sesame mix, using your hands to press it into the fish. Coat all sides.
5. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until very, very hot. Drizzle the oil into the pan and let it get hot. Note: be careful in these next steps as the oil will be very hot and it goes fast.
6. Using tongs, carefully lay the tuna in the pan. Sear 60 to 90 seconds, or until golden on one side. Carefully flip and sear the other side for 60 to 90 seconds until golden. Sear the edges using your tongs.
7. Carefully remove from heat and place tuna on a cutting board. Using a very sharp knife, thinly slice.
8. Serve immediately or refrigerate to serve later chilled.
Show us how you recreate (or modify) this delicious recipe and use hashtag #pooshpalate for a chance to be featured on our social.