Keeping it simple and practical is always my go-to when cooking, and this recipe is sure to impress at any occasion it’s served. It’s a filling, simple meal full of fresh, clean flavors, and it can be prepared in under 30 minutes—it’s about to be your new go-to. Also, it can be easily adaptable with whatever white fish you find at your market and can be paired with a variety of healthy side options.
Get the recipe below.
Caper Berry Halibut Over Sautéed Spinach
Serving Size:2 people
Prep Time:10 mins
Cook Time:20 mins
Total Time:30 mins
10 ounces spinach
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon avocado oil
12 caper berries, halved
1 pound halibut or any fresh, wild white fish
Flakey salt and pepper
1 teaspoon butter or vegan substitute
1 lemon, juice and zest
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Handful of microgreens
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Wash the spinach and remove stems. (Pro tip: use a salad spinner to help remove any excess water.)
3. Using a cast-iron skillet, heat half the olive oil with the avocado oil over medium heat.
5. Once the oils are hot, saute the caper berries for approximately 5 minutes.
6. Prep fish with oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
7. In the same skillet as the caper berries, add the butter and fish. Sear for approximately 2 minutes per side.
8. Squeeze half the lemon onto the white fish and place the cast-iron skillet into the preheated oven for 5-10 minutes.
9. While your fish is baking, heat the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in a new pan on medium-high heat.
10. Once the oil is warm, saute the garlic slices for approximately 1 minute, stirring occasionally until lightly browned.
11. Add the prepared spinach to the pan, along with a pinch of salt and pepper, juice from the other lemon half, and the lemon zest. The spinach will seem like it’s about to overflow your pan but will quickly wilt down to a small amount. The process should only take a couple of minutes—be sure not to overcook. Spinach should be fully wilted but still a bright green.
12. Remove the fish from the oven. Plate the spinach and add the fish and caper berries on top.
14. Add microgreens for a final touch, and enjoy a simple, delicious, and healthy meal!
Show us how you recreate (or modify) this delicious recipe and use hashtag #pooshpalate for a chance to be featured on our social.