Finding a Mother’s Day gift can be overwhelming. What can you possibly give to the woman who gave you life? Will just flowers do? What is a good way to really say thank you?
Over my years of celebrating Mother’s Day with my mom, I have come to realize that material things aren’t always the way to go. Creating my own gift, directly from the heart, does a much better job of showing my gratitude. That doesn’t mean you should throw away the bracelet or the carefully picked mug you know she would love. But consider incorporating these DIY gift ideas into her special day. It’s the perfect opportunity to bring your creativity to the table and show your mom a little extra love.
Bonus: I’m also sharing the recipe to my mom’s favorite breakfast treat.
This is one of my personal favorites because it will last forever and be something she’ll look at again and again. It’s simple, sweet, and creative.
Things you need:
• A mason jar (or any empty jar with a properly fitting lid)
• Paper (colored or plain white)
• A writing utensil
1. Gather your materials (above). Using the scissors and a steady hand, begin to cut out small cards in shapes such as circles, hearts, and squares. Be sure to make the shapes big enough that you will have room to write what you want, but not so big that you won’t be able to fit them all in the jar. Cut out as many as you like—I suggest 10-20.
2. After you’re finished cutting out the cards, think of things you love about your mom, moments you cherish with her, and things she would enjoy reading that would brighten up her day. Write them on the cards.
3. Put the cards inside the jar.
4. When your jar is completely filled with the shaped cards, close the lid and decorate the outside with anything you want, like stickers. Or simply write “Mom” along with “Things I love about you!”
Cook her breakfast, so she can start her day off right
My mom makes me breakfast most mornings, but Mother’s Day should be her turn to be treated. Try making your mom a super-filling, healthy breakfast to keep her energized and ready for the day. Below is the recipe for my mom’s favorite breakfast.
The Best French Toast
• 8 slices sandwich bread (white, whole grain, or sourdough)
• 1 cup milk (regular, almond, or coconut)
• 2 large eggs
• 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Mix the milk, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla in a flat-bottomed plate or baking pan (sometimes I just use a decent sized bowl).
2. Place the bread slices into your mixture one at a time. Make sure to flip each slice to evenly coat both sides.
3. Place a small spoonful of butter in a medium-sized pan and melt it over medium-high heat.
4. One by one, place the bread slices in the pan and cook them until golden brown on both sides (about two to three minutes).
5. Put the French toast on a nice plate and add some sliced fruit or maple syrup.
Make her a thoughtful card
Another small but meaningful gift you can make your mom is a nicely decorated card. If you want to add a little something extra, write a sweet message to her in the card.
Create a collage of photos
If I know anything about my mom, it’s how much she loves photos of me and my family. What better way to remind her of the great moments you’ve shared than a stroll down memory lane with pictures of family and friends.
Things you will need:
• Printed photos of you and your mom
• Picture frame about the size of a letter-size piece of paper (optional)
1. Carefully cut out your printed pictures with scissors.
2. Begin to paste the pictures onto the piece of paper, leaving space in the middle if you want to write something. Remember to keep it as neat as possible and add color or hearts to empty spaces.
3. You can frame your collage or give it to her as is.
Charli Reda is a 14-year-old writer who lives in New York City. Charli has been interested in writing from a young age and is taking that passion with her through her teen years. She loves fashion and likes to keep up with trends but stay classy with her day-to-day outfits. In her spare time, she loves talking about the latest trends, discussing conspiracies about pretty much everything, and being around her friends.
Up next, shop our collagen collab with Vital Proteins.