Thick, shiny, and strong hair—the qualities we aim for when caring for our mane. The secret to achieving luscious strands? Rice water. Kourt recently learned this DIY trick from Kim, who’s been doing this treatment on her hair and has seen a noticeable difference in growth and thickness. Yeah, count us in. Many eastern countries have used the all-natural recipe for years, reaping its healing and nourishing perks. Below, we’re breaking down the moisturizing and strengthening benefits of the minerals and vitamins in rice water and instructions on how to do the hair-enhancing treatment at home.
What you’ll need:
1 cup organic rice (any type as long as it’s organic)
1. Rinse the uncooked grains and then drain the water.
2. Place the clean rice in a bowl and add 1-1 1/2 cups of water. Let it soak for at least an hour (you can let it sit up to 24 hours).
3. Strain the rice and save the water.
4. Shampoo and rinse your hair.
5. Massage the rice water into your hair and scalp and let it sit for at least 20 minutes (and up to an hour).
We recommend doing this 1-2 times a week.
Amino acids: strengthen and repair damaged hair
Selenium: promotes hair growth and reduces dandruff
Folic acid: helps strengthen and thicken hair (found in prenatal vitamins)
Magnesium: helps stimulate hair growth and healthy cell production
Niacin: contains vitamin B3, which strengthens hair and prevents dullness