You’ve cleaned out your closet and now have a stack of old jeans ready to be donated as well as a pile of “maybe-keep-maybe-donate.” Find one pair you’re ready to give a second life and dive into this DIY concept that will make your jeans look 10 times cooler.
Whether you’re looking for an end-of-summer outdoor activity for your kids or ways to upcycle pieces you already own, this is the perfect project for you. It’s a win-win. You’ll keep your family busy while flexing their creative skills and update your wardrobe the sustainable way.
We tapped graffiti artist, Dirt Cobain, who’s known for his incredible street art, to share ways to customize denim (or any article of clothing, tbh) using spray paint. We, of course, suggest using an option that contains fewer VOCs, like this brand, Sugar, which combines water with alcohol made from sugar cane so it doesn’t have lead or other heavy metals in its formula. It’s better for the environment and your health. Learn the steps straight from a pro below.
1. “Pick out a pair of jeans to customize.
2. Select your spray-paint colors. (At least three colors are recommended, but you can use as many as you want.)
3. Spray paint the first layer of paint. Let dry for 30 minutes.
4. Spray paint the second layer of paint. Let dry for 30 minutes. You can spray paint as many layers as you want, just be sure to always give about 30 minutes between each layer.
5. Add paint splatter and drips to the jeans. Don’t be afraid to add a lot of drip, since this gives the jeans an awesome effect.
Up next, be the first to know our weekly content and sign up for our Poosh newsletter.