Whether a friend shared a helpful shortcut or you discovered an odd way to keep your pots and pans looking squeaky clean thanks to a late-night scroll on Instagram, the list of little life hacks never ends (in a good way).
To make your everyday at-home routine a wee bit simpler, we’re sharing the random yet handy and helpful hacks we’ve recently learned (along with the tried-and-true ones everyone should know). Read on to see which ones might be missing from your life, and let us know the hacks that make your day-to-day easier at the end.
• If you can’t get a jar open, run it under hot water and then gently tap it on the counter to loosen the lid. Kourt recently had to use this trick to help Penelope open a tight jar. You can also wrap a rubber band around the lid and then twist as plan B.
• Keep avocados in a brown paper bag or drawer so they are shaded and out of sunlight. Also, if the stem at the top easily pops off and it looks nice and green, you’ll be able to tell if it’s ripe and ready to eat.
• Place scented liners or an unopened bar of soap in your drawers to keep your clothes smelling fresh.
• Avoid stale sandwich leftovers by wrapping them in a damp paper towel before you place in the microwave (works for pastries like croissants too).
• Ice cubes can help remove unpleasant indentations on rugs and carpet from heavy furniture.
• Use a scrubber brush to clean dusty air vents in your home.
• Olive oil and a warm wet rag can help remove sticker adhesive on jars, new plates, etc.
• If your phone charger stops working, try gently cleaning your phone plug-in with a thin Q-tip or toothpick.
• Use an old toothbrush to clean the rubber part of your garbage disposal every month if your kitchen starts to get stinky (such a sexy task, we know).
• Make your pots and pans look brand new (well, close to new) with vinegar and baking soda. Sprinkle baking soda, hot water, and 1/4 cup vinegar and let the mixture fizz for 20 minutes. This will help lift the grime and make for less arm work when you’re scrubbing.
What are some bizarre hacks that make your day-to-day life a little easier? Let us know in the comments on Instagram.